My husband and I have been together for almost 11 years, we were trying to conceive with no luck, so we reached out to a fertility specialist. After having both of us tested, we found out we have male factor infertility and that our doctor believed IVF was our only option. We could not afford that option so we decided to try IUI (intrauterine insemination).

After 3 failed attempts we were devastated.  We somehow had to try to face that fact: ​having a baby just wasn’t in the cards for us.

Then news got out that the government was going to cover the cost of one IVF cycle as of December 2015. I immediately started calling my clinic, but because it was still a couple months away, they did not have any answers yet. I decided to make an appointment for mid December to further discuss, and it just so happened that they had just started making their waiting list for IVF. We were added to the list and although we still had to pay for all medication (which was still very expensive) we would be able to go ahead for the first round of funded IVF. I started my injections and monitoring, then had my retrieval February 2015, I had 8 eggs retrieved , 7 fertilized, and by day 5 we had 5 embryos! 5 days later I had my first embryo transferred back into me!!!

The feeling was unimaginable.  We thought for sure we were pregnant, but unfortunately, that embryo did not stick – I was not pregnant. As devastated as we were, we tried not to lose hope, knowing that we could try again. Then, in April 2016 we transferred another embryo and he took!!!

I was pregnant!

After all of the tests,
the monitoring,
the injections,
the medication,
going to clinic every other day for blood work,
ultrasound monitoring. 

The tears, let downs, the negatives –
​we were finally pregnant!

We had our baby December 2016, our hope and dreams were finally answered!!! As I write this, my amazing 11 week old boy is asleep on me!!! Every step of the way was worth it.

Beverly was born in Brampton. She has always had a passion for animals. She travelled up north to New Liskeard to go to school to become a Veterinary Technician, graduating in 2006. After graduating, she moved back home and that’s when she met her husband Michael. They moved to Orangeville in 2013. They have 2 very senior cats, 2 adventure seeking dogs and their brand new baby, Carter.